March 28, 2012

A sense of accomplishment

It can be frustrating, living in a country where one is unfamiliar with their primary language. Being in South Korea for the past month (it has been 30 days!), life has been relatively easy because many students I interacted with understood English well. Additionally, I always had someone there to help in a time of need. I thought things would continue to stay simple, until today.

Anyway, for some reason, my left foot has been hurting lately. I have no idea why. Maybe it is because I have been walking incorrectly. Maybe it is because I have been walking too much. Maybe I am wearing the wrong shoes. Maybe, it's all in my head! For the past few days, I got Abe to get me the (Korean version of) Icy Hot to spray from the dormitory office. Today, (fed up) and probably irritated of my recent (and more mean) attitude, he and Alvin suggested that I learn how to say and get it myself.

I was pretty pissed off by their suggestion and felt like crying out of frustration so left them. It was the end of the night and all I wanted to do was shower and sleep, yet didn't want to speak in butchered Korean with the people there. I want to be perfect and saying Konglish isn't perfect!

After my shower, and an intensive English review session with Sienna, I decided not to let my pride get the best of me and ask the dorm office for the spray in badly spoken Korean. Long story short, the guy at the dorm office understood me. When he gave it to me, I felt a sense of euphoria. I DID IT! I managed to communicate in Korean! That's step one, everyone!

So, as annoyed I was at Abe and Alvin, I appreciate their nudging. They helped me get out of my comfort zone and feel a sense of accomplishment for doing so. Thanks guys (even though you'll never get the chance to read this blog)!

0 comments:

Post a Comment