November 10, 2011

Asking for help

It's hard to ask for help because I have a lot of pride. At the same time, I am use to being asked to help rather than the other way around. So, I tend to choke up when asking for anything because I think people see me as a self-reliant person and do not want to change their perception of me (oh, I'm such a people-pleaser).

So, I asked my communications writing professor (who is also a psychology student working on her PhD) for some advice about writing a psychology analysis and I choked when I asked her! Side note: I think it's an authority problem, too. I feel weird asking professors and other authority figures for help. However, after some thought, I guess I have trouble asking for help in general because I fear rejection. On to the story, my professor was extremely understanding (probably because I had a runny nose and looked like I was crying). She actually gave me 3 of her psychology papers as an example for me to use when writing my paper. After that, she told me to send a copy of my psychology paper. Lastly, she said that she would go over the paper and give me a call on Sunday so that we can go over the paper! That is so sweet, right?

I hate how difficult this is. But, I know, if things in life were this easy, everyone would be able to get their college degrees. So, I guess half the battle of getting a degree are the struggles. No matter how much I want to give up, I want to prove that I CAN get that double major!

Anyway, I think things are turning around. I should stop procrastinating and work on that rewrite if I want a better grade.

0 comments:

Post a Comment