February 2, 2011

State of the Union 2011

This is the same post as the one I posted on tumblr last week(Jan. 28) but since the professor didn't think tumblr justified as a blog, I'm going to paste it here.

I don’t know if many of you watched the State of the Union two nights ago (01/25). If you did, good for you. If you didn’t, I really suggest that you watch it. I don’t think reading it did it much justice. Despite the fact that the State of the Union just addresses issues somewhat vaguely, it gave me this sense of motivation. Dreams do come true. Hope does go somewhere. Anything and everything is possible. I really enjoy speeches that can appeal to the emotions. Sometimes, I feel, we need these kinds of speeches. I’ve been feeling really unmotivated lately, believing that everything I do will ultimately backfire. I won’t be able to feel like I “succeeded” in life. Many people feel like they accomplished something whereas I’m sitting here at home, doing nothing. I feel the same as I had a year ago. A year ago, I remember thinking, “I will know what I want with no regrets.” A year later, I’m still at the same spot. Maybe I have to somehow motivate myself to find out what I truly want. I can say that I’m trying, but I feel like I’m not. I’m just going in a roundabout in this discussion.

I have to say, in his speech, the part that appealed to me most was the end. Obama mentioned that this man named Brandon Fisher who had this small business that dealt with drilling technology. When he heard that there was 33 Chilean men stuck underground, he helped find a Plan B. He help drill those men out of that hole. He was part of the reason why those men managed to get out quicker (34+ days?) than the estimated time (6 months, right?). Anyway, that story actually got me teary-eyed. I just couldn’t believe that there were still people in this world that had this sense of humanity. I’m not saying that all humans are evil or whatnot. Just, we set our priorities differently. I feel so passionate about many things, yet I’m not willing to compromise my priorities if something comes up. For instance, I wanted to help out in the political campaign near the end of last year. I could have volunteered the the political headquarters of my affiliation or donated money or other things, but I didn’t. Using rationalism, I reasoned that I would eventually help them out. They don’t need me right now. I’m busy studying (I could’ve given up some time since I’m online a bit too much). I’m a broke college student. I had so much excuses to not help out with campaigns. It kind of sickens me now that I’m reflecting upon myself. Anyway, I digress. So, hearing the story of Fisher and his drill, I couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed with emotions. I want to help people. I don’t think I will, but the speech changed my judgment over people I had for awhile. I felt that everyone was really selfish and greedy (including me). It’s weird how one speech can change you for awhile. As I grew a bit more pessimistic about people over the last few months, somehow I managed to gain back a bit of optimism over the speech. Thank you. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment